Friday, September 16, 2022

Today in Comics History, September 16, 1829: First Wegman's coupon is clipped

Today in 1829: the first issue of the Onondaga Standard, a newspaper serving Syracuse and Central New York, is published.


Why is this important in comics? Well, it's important at least to me: I grew up in Syracuse, and after several mergers, the Standard became the Syracuse Post-Standard in 1899. I grew up reading this paper, and more important, the funnies page, where I got my first education in comics!



So why is this important? Because I believe this is the only time my hometown newspaper has appeared in comic books!:


from Fantastic Four (1961 series) #31 (Marvel, October 1964), script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Chic Stone, color by Stan Goldberg, letters by Sam Rosen

Happy birthday, Syracuse Post-Standard! Here's hoping you keep on telling us about the MONY Building for another 130 years!

1 comment:

Blam said...

Oh, no! Keep your doors locked, Negative-51-Years-Old Bully!