Monday, September 12, 2022

Today in Comics History, September 12: Happy birthday, Martrese Beck!

Born on this day: model Martrese Beck, who portrayed the newly-blue Namorita on this classic cover!


cover of The New Warriors (1990 series) #44 (February 1994), photograph by Paul Mezey, print by Katie Yu, make-up by Kate Wadsworth, retouching by Gabrielle Russomagno




This sequence from Marvel Age details the process. (I've deleted the somewhat belittling title of the article.)




from Marvel Age #134 (Marvel, March 1994), text by Paula Foye, photographs by Paul Mezey

Happy birthday, Martrese!


4 comments:

Blam said...

I met the delightful Martrese back when this issue came out and interviewed her for a comics newsletter. One day, time and Internet connection willing, I’ll finally get it up in my abandoned online archives. She personalized a cover for me and it’s among the few autographs I’ve ever cared to get.

Bully said...

That's fantastic! I'm always delighted to hear when people are kind and open to fans.

Blam said...

I don’t remember how the connection was made but she was local to Philly so she came into the comics shop where I worked to chat and was honestly as delighted herself with this strange little side gig as she was delightful.

Blam said...

I forgot to add that, due to Namorita’s concurrent name change, I titled the article “Bitchin’ Kymaera”. You’re welcome, everyone.