Saturday, April 23, 2022

Comics Do Shakespeare: The Sonnets, Verse 5: Nothing of him that doth fade, But doth suffer a sea change

Sonnet 144:

Two loves I have of comfort and despair,
Which like two spirits do suggest me still
The better angel is a man right fair,
The worser spirit a woman coloured ill.
To win me soon to hell, my female evil
Tempteth my better angel from my side,
And would corrupt my saint to be a devil,
Wooing his purity with her foul pride.
And, whether that my angel be turn’d fiend,
Suspect I may, yet not directly tell,
But being both from me both to each friend,
I guess one angel in another’s hell.
     Yet this shall I ne’er know, but live in doubt,
     Till my bad angel fire my good one out.



from Yellow Submarine one-shot (Western/Gold Key, February 1969), script by Paul S. Newman, pencilsand inks by José Delbo

No comments: