Sunday, June 18, 2023

Today in Comics History, June 18, 1940: Spite Marriage

Crooks are trying to pull a blackmail scheme on Commissioner Dolan by claiming he was married three years ago to one of their in-pocket molls! I know, I know...same thing happened to me when they said I had been married to Keira Knightley since I was 4.


from "June 18, 1940" in The Spirit (Register and Tribune Syndicate, January 31, 1943), script by Joe Millard (?), pencils by Lou Fine, inks by Alex Kotzky, letters by Martin DeMuth

I don't usually comment on the coloring, but I really like how the background gets hotter as Dolan stews here:


All's well that ends well. Say, can you testify where you were on June 18, 1940? Me, I was broadcasting on the BBC to German-occupied France, rallying the French Resistance to me in London. Oh wait, that was General Charles de Gaulle. I'm always makin' that mistake.


1 comment:

Blam said...

Let’s see… June 18th, 2020… I was at home being deathly afraid of contact with other people.