Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Today in Comics History, September 21: Happy birthday, M.C. Gaines!

Born on this day in 1894: Max Ginzberg, later known (especially to us comic book fans) as M.C. Gaines, the man comic books call "Dad!"


from Fifty Who Made DC Great one-shot (DC, 1985)




For Pete's sake, he basically invented the comic book with newsprint pamphlets of newspaper strips, and later was the co-publisher of the All-American group imprint at National/DC, which brought us Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Hawkman, and more! And he founded Educational Comics. Better known to us all as...EC Comics!


from Wonder Woman (1942 series) #2 (January 1942)

Gaines was an instrumental part of bringing Superman to DC Comics. And without Superman, would the comics industry have even survived out of the forties?


from Comic Book Comics #1 (Evil Twin, March 2008); script by Fred Van Lente; pencils, inks, and letters by Ryan Dunlavey



photo from Superman Smashes the Klan #2 (DC, February 2020)

Also, without M.C. Gaines we wouldn't have…his son Bill Gaines (pictured here), who took EC to its elevated, infamous heights, and gave us MAD magazine, still bein' published!


from EC Comics cover-dated September 1952

Happy birthday, M.C. Gaines!

2 comments:

Blam said...

I came across The Comic-Book Book at the library before getting my hands on a copy of its predecessor, All in Color for a Dime, and so I didn’t read Ted White’s “The Spawn of M.C. Gaines” until after I read Don Thompson’s “The Spawn of the Son of M.C. Gaines”. Both tomes are seminal essay collections edited by Thompson and Dick Lupoff that I devoured countless times. Just as the comic-book industry wouldn’t be the one we know without those men, or Sheldon Mayer, I know I wouldn’t be me without those fantastic volumes.

Bully said...

Agreed! I can see my (mass market) paperback of All in Color for a Dime from here, but I haven't any idea where my copy of the Comic-Book Book is. I'll uncover it someday! I love these books (and similar ones)!

Thanks!