Thursday, June 16, 2022

Today in Comics History, June 16: Happy birthday, Ron Hogan!

Born on this day: my personal pal and a good egg all around, writer and editor Ron Hogan!


Ron's not a comic book creator, but he is the author of the excellent writing book Our Endless and Proper Work, which I consult all the time! Look, I have photographic evidence. You can get a copy for yourself!





And here's more background info about Ron and his projects, some extra-credit reading from Beatrice.com, which he created in 1995! I was five then.

But I'll tell ya this and I'll tell ya good: the first place I encountered Ron was between the pages of a comic book, and no he's not a superhero or a creator or one of those supporting characters to Clark Kent. I first saw his name as part of fandom through his various Letters to the Editor!


letter in G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero (1982 series) #70 (Marvel, April 1988)



letter from Hellblazer (1988 series) #6 (DC, June 1988)

Ron's also got a letter in Justice League International #15...but I don't have that issue. D'oh!

But he was one of the runners-up in the Great "Why I Ought to Appear in Blue Devil" contest of '86, and if he'd won, he woulda been in the comic, and I would've led with that. Alas! See how many lettercol wruiters you recognize!


letters page from Blue Devil #28 (DC, September 1986)

But probably the letter thgat cemented into my little stuffed head the thought that "This guy thinks like me! I hope we're friends someday!" was this vital missive in Who's Who #25:


letter from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe (1985 series) #25 (DC, March 1987)

As a huge Sugar and Spike fan I entirely agree with Ron and totally disagree with DC's official editorial response of "'coz we didn't wanna." Why, only a handful of issues previously they actiuallu defended inclusion in Who's Who of non-DC Universe comics:


from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe (1985 series) #12 (DC, February 1986)

And again...


from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe (1985 series) #22 (DC, December 1986)

So, I agree with Ron, and I can't understand why Sugar and Spike weren't included in Who's Who. Why, they've featured non-DC Universe comics such as Atari Force and Camelot 3000, and this thing, which has never crossed over with the DCU...
"Watchmen" from Who's Who: Update '87 (DC, December 1987), pencils and inks by Dave Gibbons, colors by Anthony Tollin
(Click picture to Snyder Cut-size)

What? I'm being informed of something in my little stuffed earpiece. ... They did? Really?

Oh. Never mind.

Happy birthday to my pal Ron, and wishing you many more!

No comments: