Thursday, April 14, 2022

Today in Comics History, April 14: Happy birthday, Dave Gibbons!

Born today, so wish him a happy birthday as you cycle down the lane: Dave Gibbons, comics writer, artist, and letterer (2000 AD, Watchmen, the Martha Washington series, Doctor Who, Green Lantern, World's Finest, The Secret Service, "For the Man Who Has Everything," and much more!


from Power Comics #3 (Eclipse/Acme, July 1988)

Did I mention Watchmen? Let me mention Watchmen again.



from Comic Book Comics #5 (Evil Twin, March 2011); script by Fred Van Lente; pencils, inks, and letters by Ryan Dunlavey

Here's Dave as Tornado super-editor Big E! And League of Extraordinary Gentlemen artist Kevin O'Neill as "Billy!"! (No ID yet on Percy or Sam — let us know if you know!)


cover of Tornado #8 IPC, 12 May 1979)

Happy birthday, Big E! You too, Dave!

2 comments:

Blam said...

If he was the Big E, why did you mark his face "XXX"? And why does that face look like it was drawn by Mike Sekowsky? (Okay, I assume the answer to my first question is that you're just trying to keep me on my toes.)

Bully said...

I can't even remember the joke I had planned to put there! Now I have to come up with a new one! Now who's keeping who on whose toes?