Sunday, February 25, 2024

What's Bully Not Reading? 2024 #1: Island Stories by David Reynolds

There's some books on my gotta-read-'em-all-in-2024 bookshelves that I pluck out, but then decide not to read after all. Here's the first of them.

I got this (for $4.95 at Hamilton Books, ultra-cheap) because I liked the cover and I thought it was much more of a casual history than it turned out to be.


But it turns out to be an examination of Brexit (well, at least it's faintly anti-Brexit), using historical context to explain how Britain got to Brexit. I must have misread or was misled by the online description when I bought it. Really beautiful cover, though! But the book isn't my cuppa tea (ha ha). I read a couple chapters but now it's going into the donation bin.

As a bull of seven, I'm definitely too old to finish reading a book I'm not really into.

1 comment:

Blam said...

That’s a pretty slim book for a history of Britain, all right, but it must go at a pretty good clip. He got two stories out of the way just on the cover!