Friday, July 14, 2023

Today in Comics History, July 14: Happy birthday, Ingmar Bergman!

Today we celebrate the birthday of Ingrid Bergman, the beautifu land talented movie star of Gaslight, The Bells of St. Mary, Notorious, Spellbound, A Woman Called Golda, Casablanca, and...what? Wait, it isn't Ingrid Berman's birthday? Ingmar Bergman, born on this day in 1918, and groundbreaking director of The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, and Fanny and Alexander?!? Screenwriter, playwright, and stage director too? Oh boy. I know I'm gonna struggle with this one.

So here's a cartoon of what if Ingmar Bergman directed Blondie and Dagwood.


from "If the Comics Were Drawn By Famous Movie Directors" in Cracked #51 (Major Publications, April 1966); script, pencils, and inks by Bill Ward (as "McCartney")

Happy birthday Ingmar, you nut, you crazy guy! C'mon blow up a party balloon or something...aw geez, Ingmar, not the grey one.

1 comment:

Blam said...

If that last panel didn’t inspire one of them Afterlife with Archie things, I’ll eat my hat. Or your hat? I’ll eat a hat, anyway, but really only if it’s made from marzipan.
… Dang. Now I want to eat a marzipan hat.