Saturday, July 30, 2022

Today in Comics History, July 30: Happy Birthday, Kate Bush!

Born on this day and currently having the best year ever: singer/songwriter/musician/producer Kate Bush, who's created ten albums that have changed my life. I didn't discover her this year, but at the same time I didn't become a fan until she put out a greatest hits album (1986's The Whole Story), so I missed the beginning of Kate Bush-mania. I'm glad for every moment and song listening that I'm a fan!

But can you find Kate inside comic books? Well, you have to look carefully.


from Doctor Strange (1974 series) #63 (Marvel, February 1984); script, pencils, and inks by Carl Potts; colors by Bob Sharen; letters by Jim Novak (credited)

There she is! But still, that's only Kate Bush on a poster. Do you think we can find a picture in comics with her in it?




from 'Cloak and Dagger: Chapter II: Dancin' the Night Away!' in Marvel Fanfare (1982 series) #19 (Marvel, March 1985), script by Bill Mantlo, pencils by Rick Leonardi, inks by Terry Austin, colors by Glynis Oliver, letters by Rick Parker

Well, great, I guess she's probably in that picture but way inside the theater in her dressing room. I'm not sure that counts. What else we got, comics?


from X-Factor (1986 series) #52 (Marvel, March 1990), script by Louise Simonson, pencils by Terry Shoemaker, inks by Al Milgrom, colors by Brad Vancata, letters by Joe Rosen

Now that doesn't count! But hey, who knew Iceman was a Kate Bush fan? Her latest CD at the time of this comic's release would have been 1989's The Sensual World. Are you certain you're old enough to buy that, Bobby?

Loopking deeper into my underground Comics Vault, I've discovered that Kate Bush gets thanked on lots of Doctor Who comics! Wow! I didn't know she was so big a fan of the show!


Except, turns out it's completely different Kate Bush, who was Brand Strategy Manager for the show in 2008-2014. Asked if she had considered taking a different professional name, Doctor Who Kate Bush replied "Why should I change my name? She's the one who sucks!" I totally made up that last sentence. Please don't sue me, Kate Bush. Nether of you.

Well, it looks like I'm not gonna find Kate Bush in a comic book at all. (sits down, sighs heavily, graphic novel falls on my head)


from "The Kick Inside" in Femme Magnifique: 50 Magnificent Women Who Changed the Worl (Hi-Fi Academy Press, September 2017); script by Gail Simone; pencils, inks, and colors by Marguerite Savage; letters by Aditya Bidikar

Why, thank you, Gail Simone (happy birthday yesterday, BTW) and Marguerite Savage! This is a page from their short piece about Kate, and there's 49 other women spotlighted and poratrayed by a wide variety of comics creators in this excellent book. As I have been heard to say, I highly recommend it!

Let's wrap up my birthday salute to Ms. Bush with one of my favorite Kate songs (and certainly my favorite music video by her). And yes, that is Donald Sutherland!


"Cloudbusting" by Kate Bush (EMI, 1985), itten by Kate Bush, music video directed by Julian Doyle from n idea by Kate Bush and Terry Gilliam

Happy birthday, Kate!


from Femme Magnifique; words by Kate Bush; art by Marguerite Savage

No comments: