Wednesday, May 04, 2022

Today in Comics History, May 4: Happy birthday, Shaenon K. Garrity!

I'm wishin' a very happy May the Fourth birthday to pal Shaenon K. Garrity, artist, author, and editor (Narbonic, Skin Horse, Smithson, The Dire Days of Willowweep Manor, stories in the Marvel Holiday Specials, and the wonderfully titled Zombie Gnome: A Tiny Terror and The Zombie Gnome Defense Guide: A Complete Reference to Surviving the Tiniest Apocalypse)!

Does Shaenon have a picture of herself in comics, the usual criteria for being in this feature? Not that I know of or have found, no (tho' I've not yet read all she's done). But what she does have is great too: a portrait of me, yours little stuffed truly, that I commissioned last year with a donation to San Francisco's wonderful Cartoon Art Museum (you can join and/or donate here!), where she's volunteered and her husband Andrew Farago (another online pal!) is a curator. Shaenon went above and beyond with this portrait of me and golly, Shaenon, I just love this and the one Andrew drew (which I need to scan and feature soon!), absolutely* to pieces. *Not literally to pieces.


A very happy birthday to you, Shaenon, and many thanks and much love from this li'l stuffed fan.

2 comments:

billjac said...

Shaenon drew herself in the occasional reader's letters Sunday strips of her Skin Horse comic, but they aren't labelled in archive, so not easy to find.

I remembered that she popped up occasionally in her Monster of the Week X-Files recap strip too and found an example. Take a look! http://www.shaenon.com/monsteroftheweek/2021/02/07/mow-19/.

Bully said...

Thanks billjac! I didn't have any of 'em on hand, so I appreciate your addition! When I update this piece I'll include it!