Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Today in Comics History, May 18: Happy (another) birthday, Queen Hippolyta!

Born on this day in (mumblemumbleclearsthroat), the woman the kids call Mrs. Wonder Woman's Mom: Queen Hippolyta!


from "The Shrinking City!" in Wonder Woman (1942 series) #93 (DC, October 1957), script by Robert Kanigher, pencils and inks by Harry Peter




Now! (he said, clapping his hoofs together.) You may remember back on January 8, I told you that the pretty-canon Super DC Calendar '76 named that date to be Q. H's B-D.


from Super DC Calendar 1976, letters by Ben Oda

I don't know what to make of the coincidence of it all (maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today), but we can disprove the January 11 date with an actual in-canon Wonder Woman story...just like we disproved the date of Linda Lee Danvers's birthday as given on the '76 calendar...which, startingly enough, is also today! Wow! Sisters are doing it for themselves today, and I'm all for it.

Since it was created by DC itself, I almost always am happy to accept a Super DC Calendar '76 birthday, except when it's contradicted by actual story canon, and see? May 18! It's canon, fanboys!


from "Wonder Queen's Surprise Birthday Gift!" in Wonder Woman (1942 series) #131 (July 1962), script by Robert Kanigher, pencils by Ross Andru, inks by Mike Esposito, letters by Gaspar Saladino

This story is all about Wonder Woman going to Paradise Island for her mother's birthday, but forgetting to buy her a gift. Sephora gift card, Diana. That's what they MAKE those for.




OH JUST GO TO THE MALL, WONDER WOMAN




Eventually, Diana brings Queen H. a big-ass diamond. JUST WHAT EVERY MOM WANTS.


"Happy birthday, Mother
You made me out of clay
But I forgot to get you
A present for your day."


Happy birthday, Queen Hippo! (PS: Don't call her that. I called her that once but I think I got away with it.)

No comments: