Friday, January 24, 2014

365 Days of KirbyTech, Day 24: The Watcher's Evolution Device

I've at last caught up on my missed posts of the past few days (scroll down the blog to see 'em!), and in the spirit of explanation, I'd like to nominate this as the KirbyTech du jour—the very comfortable Bed of Thor, not unlike the bed I've been snuggled up in for the past few days!


Splash page from Thor #128 (May 1966), script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Vince Colletta, letters by Artie Simek

Cool! Thor has a horsie bed! I so want one'a those!

What's that? You're saying that Thor's bed, albeit cool, doesn't count as KirbyTech because it's not mechanical? Awww, pfui! You head on over to Sleepy's The Mattress Professionals and if you can show me one CraftMatic Adjustable Bed that has an Annihilus on top of the headboard, I'll give you my coziest pillow!

Aw right, aw right. Here's a real piece of KirbyTech!


Panel from Fantastic Four #29 (August 1964), script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Chic Stone, letters by Artie Simek

So what does this little green device do? Well, when you switch it on by grasping it, it turns yellow. Oh, and it also speeds up your biological evolution. In short, it turns a Flintstone into a Jetson. And that's the simplest of Uatu's gadgets laying around his Casa de Moon. Man, I'd hate to see his can-opener.

So, to conclude:


4 comments:

Delta said...

The guy double-exclamation-mark screaming in Thor's bedroom about how everyone needs to be silent is not helping as much as he thinks.

Dave said...

Bah. Everyone knows evolution gives humans bulb-heads and long fingers.

Jon Jermey said...

And Uatu the non-interfering, who never, ever does anything to interfere with planetary development, cross his heart and hope to die, keeps this little device lying around right there in his living room because...?

Blam said...

"Drop it, Reed Richards! Drop it like it's hot!!"
"So can I--"
"Do not touch it, Johnny Storm."