Monday, September 06, 2010

Monday Night Murals: Star Trek: The Mural Picture

Hey, I promised you a Star Trek mural this week, didn't I?

Star Trek Mural


Or, as it says in the product listing on Urban Collector:
Ever wish you were aboard Captain Kirk's Enterprise? Now you can with the Star Trek: Bridge Full Wall Mural! Printed on the revolutionary pre-pasted Surestrip material, this extra large, photoreal wall mural puts you in the center of the action, and the backing won't damage the underlying wall. Measures 9 feet H x 15 feet W.
You know, I don't make nerds = living in your basement jokes on this blog, but if you've got this, have fun living in your basement.

Oh, what the heck, for you...have another Star Trek mural:

Star Trek

Star Trek v.2 #58-60 (March-June 1994), art by Jerome K. Moore and Tom McGraw
Click image to nuclear wessel-size


I loved the two series of Star Trek comics from DC, which started off, like Marvel's Star Wars comics, trying to tread the thin cosmic string fragment of filling in the mythos between the movies, before the next film came out. If I was writing them I would have killed off Kirk and Scotty and McCoy in every other episode, because you know what? They'll be back in the movie sequel. "Keptain! We're being attacked by tribbles with phasers!" "Mister...Chekov! The lives of...four...HUNDRED..." Eh, too easy a target.

Later in the comic series, like the Pocket Book Trek novels, DC opted for continuity implant adventures that happened during the first or second five year mission (non-canonical tho' the second one may be). I remember some of this three-part story, in which Chekov looks back on his varied career, during which he looks sad a lot, electrocutes Kirk, and has to set his giant floating communicator free, because if he does and it doesn't come back, he never really had it at all.

Anyway, despite not quite matching up at the edges, that's a dandy piece of artwork by Jerome Moore to tie together the three-part miniseries within a series. Some of the DC second series covers are among my very favorite pieces of Trek comic art:

Star Trek Covers


Now tell me you wouldn't wanna read those comics based on their covers!


3 comments:

Matthew Craig said...

Those comics look bloody awesome. Look at Sulu, there. "I knew I should've defended myself."

And Jason Blood Kirk? I feel that woman may be based on a famous/quasi-famous person. Hmm.

George Takei's autobiography - hell, all their autobiographies - is/are a great read. (I've not read I May Or May Not Be Spock, though) The opening scene of Walter Koenig's book is absolutely priceless.

//\Oo/\\

Mike Collins said...

Love the covers but, they're AREN'T by Rod Whigham but by DC's Trek cover maestro Jerome Moore.

On a different note... I did a whole issue of X-Men that never got used (continuity issues), centered around Hank McCoy... fancy any images from that for your McCoy countdown?

Bully said...

You're right, Mike--—in fact it says exactly that on the letters page of ish #58, and that sure as heck is a "Moore"-shaped continent on the cover! (And that's what I get for trusting what I see elsewhere on the internet!)

Corrected, and consider yourself duly awarded the prestigious Bull-Prize, Palm Leaf of Axanar Accuracy Division!