Thursday, March 05, 2009

Arroooo from You: Mike P. presents Flash Gordon

Ladies and gentlebulls, may I present...the single finest theme song to a comic book movie, ever:



Sing it along with me! Flash! Arroooo! Savior of the universe! Flash! Arroooo! He'll save every one of us!

What's that...that's not the way the song goes, you're saying? Well, who the heck do you think you are...Freddy Mercury?!? If I'm takin' some liberties with the lyrics of the single finest theme song to a comic book movie, ever, then it's just because Flash Gordon oughta have fought werewolves, don't you think? I can picture him zooming around on his jet pack, quoting quirky quips at cutie-pie Dale Arden and trading laser beam blasts with the evil minions of wicked Ming the Merciless...and fighting werewolves! Werewolves...in spaaaaaaaaaaace! Can't you just imagine it?

Flash GordonBut lucky you! You don't have to imagine it, because ace blogger Bill P. at The Meerkat Entertainment Group (along with Flash artist Jim Keefe) pits Flash and his fabulous pal King Barin (or is that Baron King? Actually, isn't he a president, too?) against the "End of the Space Werewolves!" And wouldn't you know it, there's a real humdinger of an arroooo in the final panel of the comic strip. Check it out here!

Whoo! That was some arroooo wasn't it, kids? Scared the pants right off me! Okay, okay, I wasn't wearing any pants to begin with. (Also scary: the Mark Trail-style word balloons that look like the wolf is talking in the final panel.)

While you're there, give yourself a treat and spend some time exploring, Flash-style, Mike's big, bold, beautiful, bright, blog. Don't miss the "Comic Strip Commentary" feature (my fave!), fun looks at the daily adventure strips The Phantom, Flash Gordon, and The Amazing Spider-Man. Great comics...an attractive blog...and arroooo? I'm so there!

Brian BlessedFor services to arroooo above and beyond, Mike, we hereby award you this Brian Blessed Bull-Prize, twice as big, boistrous, boastful and bearded as your leading brand of Bull-Prizes! In the words of Brian Blessed himself: "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! I'M BRIAN BLESSED! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

So, Mike's got a Bull-Prize. Jealous? Don't be green, be keen, by sending me in your own arroooo? Just email me a panel or panels featuring the sound effect arroooo (or a similar sound effect) scanned from any comic book we haven't covered here yet. Make sure you tell me what comic book it comes from, and email your scans to this address: email address

Or, like Mike, you can post it on your own blog and send me a link so I can link back and properly credit you for your arroooo!

Just remember, folks: arroooo! And if you can't arroooo...well, here's the next best thing:



1 comment:

Bill D. said...

Brian Blessed should be the commentator for every sport ever.

Of course, I think Brian Blessed should be in everything, but still.