Wednesday, November 21, 2007

We gather together to watch cheesy movies

Thanksgiving Eve and Thanksgiving Day in the Bully household means a lot of lovely things: pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream, hot oyster stuffing, smashed potaters, Jones Turkey with Gravy soda, giving thanks for all the wonderful people and animals I'm privileged to know, and then there's the grandest tradition of them all: "Turkey Day": thirty straight hours of Mystery Science Theater 3000. As inspired by the great Joel Robinson during his marathon viewing on Thanksgiving Eve and Day 1992, it's the perfect way to spend the next day and a quarter, watching old bad movies along with Joel or Mike and their two robot pals, Crow and Tom Servo. The Bully version of Turkey Day began at 6 PM this evening with Side Hackers, and we're now into one of my favorite bad spy films, Danger!! Death Ray. Watch along for ten minutes or so with me, won't you?:



Even if you're not spending the next day watching your MST3K tapes and DVDs, you'll be pleased to note that it's a good time to be a MSTie—maybe the first good time since the show actually was cancelled by the Sci Fi Channel. Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett are currently releasing a "Film Crew" DVD about once a month, Nelson and various friends continue to offer their downloadable MP3 "Rifftrax" to sync alongside recent popular movies, giving them the MST-style treatment, and Jim Mallon and Paul Chapin, also of the original show, are producing new online Flash cartoons starring Tom Servo and Crow at the Official MST3K Website. Your mileage may vary with any or all of these, as the kids on the internet say, but it's always nice to see new stuff from some of my favorite creators come out, and if you're gonna complain it's not exactly the same as the old stuff, well, you're entitled, but then, what is? Now shut up and watch your "Manos."

Bully-fans with good memories, or those who haven't emptied their browser caches in a while, may remember my post on "Caption This": a Sci Fi Channel era online game that allowed you to post funny comments to accompany as-the-happen screencaps from the Sci Fi Channel's fine schedule of programming. This was the very definition of ephemeral entertainment: since the Caption This screen would only display the most recent dozen or so picture/riff posts, your fast-witting humor would cycle off the site quickly and be lost forever.

This is, if it were not for the aid of "Caption This" fans who saved and preserved many of the CT riffs to their own websites for posterity. (Search around the web and you'll find a nice variety of these sites; here's a representative page which has saved many of the Battlestar Galactica caps. I'd saved a handle of my own caps (I posted under the username "MST4000") as screenshots and showed 'em off to you in my previous post. What I didn't expect from that post was a lovely email from a fellow capper who discovered a handful of MST4000 posts in her Knight Rider collection and thoughtfully passed them back onto me. So here you go—how I used to spend my afternoons: typing furiously to add so-called funny captions to screenshots of Michael Knight and his pals:




















Ah, halcyon days. "Caption This" is long gone, but I still talk back to the television (never at movies; I'm a very well-behaved little stuffed bull, even during Beowulf). But for the rest of my MST3K Turkey Day I'm just gonna curl up on the sofa, munch on turkey nachos, and watch the pros do it:




7 comments:

Evan Waters said...

Watching the Rifftraxed BATTLEFIELD EARTH was almost like watching an episode of the series. The old magic was definitely there.

Kicked the holiday off this evening with TIME CHASERS m'self. "Hey, look, a lesbian- OF THE FUTURE!"

SallyP said...

Bully, this sounds like a FINE tradition. I too shout at the television. It REALLY annoys my kids when I'm able to come up with the inane dialogue a second or two before the characters say the same line. I also yell out the answers on "Jeapardy" but the fools never listen.

Gosh, I miss Mystery Science Theatre!

Enjoy your pie.

Captain Infinity said...

You forgot to mention (you have heard, haven't you?) that Joel, Trace, Frank and a few others are also getting back into the game as well with their new project Cinematic Titanic.

bitterandrew said...

I had similar plans for the holiday, but completely flaked (as I kind of expected I would).

It warms my heart to see that others carried the Turkey Day torch.

Anonymous said...

My family and I put on Hercules Against The Moon Men and the rifftrax for SpiderMan. SpiderMan even had a Thanksgiving dinner scene.

"DEEEEEEP HURTING" could be heard around the apartment all weekend.

It is a tradition we hope to continue until humanly possibly.

Bill D. said...

I miss Turkey Day. Even if I had the ability to recreate it at home, I have a wife who only likes the show alright and a toddler who would just complain until I put on Sesame Street, Blues Clues, a Charlie Brown special, or music videos, so I wouldn't get very far.

Keep livin' the dream for the rest of us, Bully!

Harvey Jerkwater said...

You began with "Side Hackers?"

You know what that movie needed? More side-hacking.

The RiffTrax Experience is mighty. To hear Mike Nelson finally get to mock "Road House" is a glorious thing. "Point Break" and "The Phantom Menace" were also well worth the listen.