Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Don't wait for the trade

Tamora Pierce has an interesting post in her LiveJournal about some "creative editing" done to White Tiger #2 when the issue was reprinted in trade paperback. Seems like Marvel got cold feet over reprinting a reference to a thoughtful and logical spin on the events in Civil War as they would be likely be explored in our universe, if our universe had a guy in a tin suit and a guy in an American flag duking it out in the street. (If only!) Boo on Marvel for chickening out; double-boo on them for altering the reprint of the book without consulting or even notifying the original author.

That's not the first and it won't be the last time a story is altered (even though it's done mildly) from floppy to trade. For example, earlier this year I remember an Outsiders trade altering a sexual reference from the original issue. Yep, I know: it's work-for-hire and Marvel, DC, and the rest have the legal right to alter the original without permission from the writer or artist. This ain't a recent thing, either: remember the reprint of Fantastic Four #1 in a later FF annual which redrew the look of Johnny Storm from Jack Kirby's original to make the Human Torch look more like the latter-day version than the earlier mess o' flame?

Speaking of Johnny Human Torch, here's another alteration from comic to trade that really bugged me when I saw it. It's very minor, yes. But it flies in the face of everything I believe in about comics: it alters and lessens the fun.

Here's the original: the final four panels from the comic book version of Fantastic Four volume 3 #61:
FF #61 comic
Panels from Fantastic Four v. 3 #61 (November 2002), written by Mark Waid, art by Mike Wieringo, Karl Kesel, and Paul Mounts, lettering by Richard Starkings and Albert Deschesne


And here's the same panels as reprinted in the trade. Look closely: what's different? Note: ignore the slight coloring and shading differences of this image; it's simply my scanning skills at work here. The real difference is a little more subtle.
FF #61 trade
Panels from Fantastic Four v. 3 #61 as reprinted in the Fantastic Four: Imaginauts trade paperback (2003)







Did you catch it?
Next issue...


I know it's a relatively minor matter beside the perfectly valid complaint Tamora Pierce could make that Marvel has edited her work out of fear of controversy, but this one steams me up because they edited out an absolutely pitch-perfect joke. When I first read that issue and saw the next issue box following Sue's words of wisdom, I cracked up and milk came out of my nose. And I was not even drinking milk!

In short, the trade is a minuscule but significant percent less fun than the original comic. And that's something for which Bully will not stand! More fun in the comics, I say.

Even at the expense of Johnny Storm.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed! It's worse, IMHO, because the whole POINT of buying the trade, IMHO, is because I don't have/can't store the original issues. I'm buying the trade ostensibly to have those issues in compiled form!

I hate editing of any kind, be it "fixing things" (The Infinite Crisis trade, where art and dialogue was changed), creative editing (the nudity from Tomb of Dracula changed for the Essentials), or your examples above.

Maybe I'm just a stupid, stinky completeist, but I want things presented as they were, otherwise, maybe I'm just better off getting the original issues ...

Sorry for the rant, Bully.

Keep up the great blogging :)

Take it and run.

Elayne said...

Well, to be fair, it was probably taken out not because they wanted to ruin the joke but because, in a collected edition, there's no "next" because you just keep on reading.

SallyP said...

The Fools!

Anonymous said...

As an editor (not of the comic booky variety) I would echo Elayne's point that there is no "next" in the trade, thus they pulled the caption. BUT that was a pretty crappy editorial decision. Part of editing is also knowing what to keep and I think it would have been nice to keep the gag intact (the untrained observer doesn't lose anything, true, but there was a lot to gain from keeping the caption). I am just going to imagine that some cracker-jack editor fought to keep the gag but was steamrolled by Marketing. Or maybe that only happens at my job.

Captain Infinity said...

You know, you could probably throw that caption under Johnny's picture in any random FF issue and it would work just fine.

Evan Waters said...

This is one thing that bugs me about a lot of trade collections, the way they remove all the indicators that these were once issues of a comic book. Credits, individual issue titles, covers, etc.- too much of that stuff gets thrown out. (Even when you have cover galleries, they take out the trade dress.) I prefer the more "archival" approach of something like the Archives and Masterworks volumes, which preserve the record of the comic as a physical object.

Walaka said...

I enjoy the analysis going on here, but have to disagree that the joke was "pitch-perfect." To gain that rating, I think the caption should have read "Next: Johnny Screws It Up."

Shonzi said...

I actually picked up the hardcover trades for this run after reading this first arc based almost entirely on that one joke and feeling that it was funny enough that the rest of the waid/ringo run must be as funny. I was very disappointed when the trade didn't keep pretty much the one thing that got me to take a chance on the trades.
Not that I regret the chance I took, because the run is awesome. Just felt kinda defeated while at the same time relieved.

Mike Haseloff said...

I have to admit, in considering my own collecting prospects, I've grappled with the notion of whether or not I should strip it bare to read like a 'graphic novel', or put thumb to tooth for the latte totling trendies, and reveal in all my comic booky glory.

It's a tough one, and at the very least I can empathise with Marvel's decision. Even if it does strip out brilliant gags.

Beta Ray Steve said...

I would buy a Civil War trade if they had an extra page at the end that had Tony Stark wakes up from a horrible, horrible dream. Why waste editorial mojo killing jokes in FF?

Anonymous said...

***You know, you could probably throw that caption under Johnny's picture in any random FF issue and it would work just fine.***

Mm. I was thinking along similar lines - that the caption-less panel really supports the joke just as well - almost better, since the audience isn't being whacked over the head with it.

That said, I can totally sympathise with the overall problem. Not nice, publishers; you want to provide incentives to buy the pricier version, not second thoughts.