Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Farewell, Soldier



There's a Star-Spangled Banner waving somewhere
In a distant land so many miles away.
Only Uncle Sam's great heroes get to go there
Where I wish that I could also live some day.
I'd see Lincoln, Custer, Washington and Perry,
And Nathan Hale and Colin Kelly, too.
There's a Star-Spangled Banner waving somewhere,
Waving o'er the land of heroes brave and true.

In this war with its mad schemes of destruction
Of our country fair and our sweet liberty,
By the mad dictators, leaders of corruption,
Can't the US use a mountain boy like me?
God gave me the right to be a free American,
And for that precious right I'd gladly die.
There's a Star-Spangled Banner waving somewhere,
That is where I want to live when I die.

Though I realize I'm crippled, that is true, sir,
Please don't judge my courage by my twisted leg.
Let me show my Uncle Sam what I can do, sir,
Let me help to bring the Axis down a peg.
If I do some great deed I will be a hero,
And a hero brave is what I want to be.
There's a Star-Spangled Banner waving somewhere,
In that heaven there should be a place for me.

—"There's a Star-Spangled Banner Waving Somewhere" (1942)
by Paul Roberts and Bob Miller


4 comments:

Kevin Church said...

Don't worry, little bull. Soon, he'll be back with some friends.

Marc Burkhardt said...

*sniff*

Sleestak said...

What, no little hoofed salute?

Bully said...

Oh, I know he'll be back, Kevin. I'm just hopin' he has gigantic robotic arms when he does.

Sorry Sleestak...I don't "bend that way."