Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Today in Comics History, July 18: Happy birthday, Screamin' Jay Hawkins!

Born today in 1929: Screamin' Jay Hawkins, singer-songwriter and musician ("I Put a Spell on You," "Alligator Wine," "Constipation Blues" (because no one had written a blues song before about "real pain"), "Orange Colored Sky," and more)! And also actor (American Hot Wax, A Rage in Harlem, Mystery Train, more)! And film producer! And...did I read this right? Boxer? He was the middleweight boxing champion of Alaska?!? Wowzers, I never knew screaming could be such a lucrative career! (goes around apartment screaming at the top of my lungs, or at least until John and Randi make me stop)


from "Loathsome Lore" in Creepy (2009 series) #8 (Dark Horse, April 2012), script by Dan Braun, pencils and inks by Kyle Baker, letters by Nate Piekos

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MISTER SCREAMIN'!


"I Put a Spell on You" performed by Screamin' Jay Hawkins (Okeh, 1956), song written by Screamin' Jay Hawkins and Herb Slotkin

2 comments:

Blam said...

Eh. Her outfit’s a PG-13, maybe.

Bully said...

Each time I finish off a post I swear I check for "XXX" which is a temp placeholder, but I miss it more times than I imagine! Thanks for the eagles eyes of Blam!