Tuesday, May 09, 2023

Today in Comics History, May 9: Aside from that, Bruce, how did you like the comic book?

On this day, in year (mumblemumblemumble), one of the original characters from the earliest Marvel Age of Comics dies: Elizabeth "Betty" Ross Banner, wife of Bruce Banner, daughter of General "Thunderbolt" Ross, not related at all to Supreme Diana Ross but she used to have a bunch of 45s by...died.


from Incredible Hulk (1968 series) #466 (Marvel, July 1998), script by Peter David, pencils by Adam Kubert, inks by Mark Farmer, colors by Steve Buccellato, letters by John Workman

This storyline led to the departure of Peter David from the title, after 12 years of scripting the jolly green giant:
When Bobbie [Chase] suggested we plug her, I said, “Sure, why not?” So I killed her off. This got Marvel all excited. See, when I’d started on the book and, over years, doubled sales on it, it caused people to suddenly start paying attention. With the death of Betty, this prompted Marvel to have a Brilliant Idea. Mourning the loss of his wife, the Hulk would now go dead silent, stop talking to anyone, and run around the Marvel universe smashing everything in sight.

When I was told the new plan, I objected. I told them it was out of character with the psychologically complex giant I’d created over the years. I said I wouldn’t write that. And the editorial higher-ups (none of whom still work for the company) said that I shouldn’t hesitate to avoid having the door hit me on the way out.

And that was that. After twelve years, I was gone.
Betty eventually came back from the dead! And Peter eventually came back to script Hulk. (What are the odds?) But what was that time and date, Marvel Comics?


from Immortal Hulk #48 (Marvel, September 2021), script by Al Ewing, pencils by Joe Bennett, inks by Ruy José and Belardino Brabo, colors by Paul Mounts, letters by Cory Petit

1 comment:

Blam said...

At least she went out playing one final round of rock/paper/scissors.