Saturday, October 15, 2022

Today in Comics History, October 15: Happy birthday, Samm Schwartz!

Born on this day in 1920: comics artist Samm Schwartz, whose extensive work for Archie brought Jughead up from supporting character to the popular position of Archie Comics' Mr. Spock within the pages of Archie's Pal Jughead and the reluanch simply titled Judgead. Samm's the creator of "Big" Ethel Muggs and he co-created Tippy Teen for Tower Comics (later reprinted as Vicky by Atlas Seaboard)! After the closure of Tower, he worked on similar stories for DC's Date with Debbi and Debbi's Dates, which were astonishingly two concurrent different comics!


from Archie (2015 series) #8 (Archie, July 2016), essay by Mark Waid




With his uncomplicated but expressive cartoony style, Schwartz often brought a wonderfully delightful rubbery animated cartoon style to Archie Comics:




from "Take Two" in Archie's Pal Jughead (1949 series) #100 (Archie, September 1963); pencils, inks, and letters by Samm Schwartz

Schwartz often filled background with self-references like signs that proclaimed "Vote for Samm!" (I don't have any examples here but I'll fill this in when I do find them!) But here's a story by Craig Boldman and Rex Lindsey that references that artistic gag...for a very specific reason.





from "Samm Was Here" in Archie's Pal Jughead (1993 series) #103 (Archie, April 1998), script by Craig Boldman, pencils and inks by Rex Lindsey, colors by Barry Grossman, letters by Bill Yoshida

With his old pal Samm back in town, Jughead spends the entire story trying to track him down, but only just missing him at every place Samm's been to in Riverdale:



It's a lovely tribute to the late Samm Schwartz by the creators at Archie. I think even hard-hearted cynical ol' me shed a tear at this one.


Happy birthday, Samm Schwartz! Your stories helped me appreciate Jughead as the god of comedy that he is.


from "Who Laughs Last" in Archie's Pal Jughead (1949 series) #100; script by Frank Doyle; pencils, inks, and letters by Samm Schwartz

5 comments:

Chris Gumprich said...

I swear I've seen that "Samm Was Here" story before, but written and drawn by Samm himself.

Always and forever my favorite Archie Comics artist.

Bully said...

@Chris Gumprich: Yes, I think there were more than a few of his stories that at least used that trope, but I haven't found them yet. As I continue my Archie research and re-read I'll fill this in if I find one. Thanks!

Chris Gumprich said...

@Bully: I mean the entire story, not just the background posters. I have a clear memory of seeing Samm, drawn in that unmistakably style, waving from the plane.

Time to dig through my seven shelves of digests...

Bully said...

Oh, I haven't seen that, Chris! Please let me know if you spot it, and I'll keep my opens open as well. Thanks!

Blam said...

Such amazing figure work in such a clean style. Great stuff.