Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Today in Comics History, April 26: Happy birthday, Fin Fang Foom!

Born on this very day many many (many!) years ago: Fin Fang Foom, The Most Fearful Menace of All!


from Marvel Age #100 (Marvel, April 1991); text by Chris Eliopoulis and Barry Dutter; pencils and inks by Ron Zalme (altho' that picture looks very Art Adams-y to me, doesn't it?), colors by Renee Witterstaetter

Well, April 26 is what it says here in Marvel Age #100, so it's canon, fanboys! Note: may not be canon.


cover of Strange Tales #89 [first appearance of Fin Fang Foom] #89 (Marvel, October 1961), script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Dick Ayers, colors by Stan Goldberg, letters by Artie Simek

Happy one millionth, Mister Foom! You don't look a day over 850,000, big guy.

3 comments:

Comicsfan said...

Ha ha! This is wonderful--our friend Fin is scheduled to be profiled in the PPC in June. I can't help but ask: How is this fire-breather going to blow out his birthday candles? :D

Bully said...

Here's a transplanted comment that was accidentally left on the wrong post, but I felt it was so appropriate I'm preserving it here.

--------------------------------------

Manqueman said...

"In all the years and I posts I've followed this, this one has two basic minor historical errors:
It's Atlas if it has the globe; this doesn't and so isn't.

It clearly has the the MC in a box, so it's Marvel but before Ditko's innovation of the corner box illo. To, everything post-FF 1 is considered Marvel.

Now, what's still an unsolved mystery is what to call the post-Atlas pre-Marvel era."

--------------------------------------

And I reply:

@Manqueman: You're absolutely right, and in fact I dithered when I labelled this about putting "Atlas" or not. Sometimes in my head I hcreateve a very clear personal definition of Atlas and Marvel and I tend to assign everything before November 1961 to Atlas. But this is so close, and you're right, the Atlas globe ain't on it!

Consider yourself the recipient of a shiny brass 'n' plastic No-Bull Prize for keeping me honest! I've corrected it, in your honor! Thanks!

Bully said...

@Comicsfan: I hope, with a mask on!