Thursday, January 27, 2022

Today in Comics History, January 27: Happy birthday, Atom (I)!

Born today, so get out the little candles and a mini-cake: Al Pratt, The Atom!


from Super DC Calendar 1976 (DC, 1975), letters by Ben Oda




Actually, because he's the first hero of that name, he should more properly be called Atom I! (A wandering atom I / A thing of shreds and patches / Of ballads, songs and snatches / And dreamy lullaby!) And he lives on Earth-2, so that's likely to get a little confusing. Why don't we unravel the mystery by retelling his origin story in a feature I like to call "The Atom: Who He Is and How Did He Get That Way!" With his very first appearance ever, debuting in All-American Comics #19! Which, um, also features another hero named Green Lantern featured prominently on the cover, so you probably coulda missed Atom's debut when it happened. START SEEING ATOMS!


from "Introducing the Mighty Atom" in All-American Comics #19 (DC, September 1940), script by Bill O'Connor, pencils by Ben Flinton, inks by Leonard Sansone

If y'all want the short version, here's Roy Thomas (who else) to sum it up for you...


from Secret Origins (1986 series) #25 (DC, April 1988), text by Roy Thomas

But I think I'll also show you Al Pratt's origin in Roy's own 1980s retelling! Why not! And because you're pretty smart and can tell the difference between a modern comic and a Golden Age comic, I'll intersperse the panels throughout! By jove, Bully, what a capital idea! (adjusts monocle, settles top hat on head)


from Secret Origins #25; script by Roy Thomas; pencils by Mike Clark; inks by Bob Downs; colors by Carl Gafford; letters by Jean Simek, Susan Kronz, Janice Chiang

In any retelling Al's your typical 98-pound weakling who longs to be the Hero of the Beach (vibrating dynamic tension sound effect logo appears above his head). Hey Al, why not gamble a stamp?


He's even ditched by his nicest gal (note: she's not very nice).




Later, Al runs into a hobo who teaches him the fine art of punching guys in the batch.




Time for a Bully confession! I first read this origin story in Secret Origins and for a couple pages I swore that the bum Al took home was going to turn out to be professional boxer Ted Grant (aka Wildcat). I'm not surprised Roy Thomas didn't change the origin to make that true, but I wouldn't put it above Grant Morrison doing that some day.

Anyway: enter the all-new all-different Atom! He's got a ginchy supersuit and he enjoys beatin' up guys. He's a self-made he-man!


And that's our story 'bout a man called Atom
If I made mistakes, stay tuned for erratum





Happy birthday, Al! Now (oof!) stop punching me!


from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe (1985 series) #1 (DC, March 1985), text by Len Wein and Marv Wolfman, pencils by Rick Hoberg, inks by Romeo Tanghal

2 comments:

Matthew E said...

Time for a Bully confession! I first read this origin story in Secret Origins and for a couple pages I swore that the bum Al took home was going to turn out to be professional boxer Ted Grant (aka Wildcat). I'm not surprised Roy Thomas didn't change the origin to make that true

He did, though! In an All-Star Squadron Annual. Morgan played the same role in the origins of Atom I, Wildcat I, and Guardian I!

And, incidentally, there was also a white Joe Morgan in baseball. Nowhere near the player that the more famous Joe Morgan was, but he was the manager for the Red Sox in the late '80s.

Bully said...

Aha! I didn't know that, and thank you Matthew!

See, the things ya learn, kids!

Matthew, consider yourself the recipient of the increasingly-rare NO-BULL PRIZE!(Don't spend it all in one place!)