Thursday, August 11, 2016

A Month of... Board Games! Day 11: And on that bombshell...


You probably know I'm a big little stuffed fan fan of the late, lamented (I'm not counting the version with Mr. Billie Piper and Joey) Top Gear, the BBC automobile show where presenters Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May are given silly things to do with cars by the BBC.



Yes, I'm so big a fan I once created a comic that would definitely get published If I Ran Comics.


That's why I pick up the BBC's yearly Top Gear Annual and excitedly get out my Matchbox cars to play the various Top Gear comics annual board games! Like this one!

"Swamps and Highways" in Top Gear Annual 2009 (BBC, 2009)
(Click picture to Big Stig-size)


Yes, it's the board game based on the time Jeremy, the Hamster, and Captain Slow drove across the Alabama in the Deep South of America, with their cars sporting incendiary graffiti. Warning: quite possibly the most cringe-worthy sequence of Top Gear ever. Nobody comes off looking good, especially Americans. Stupid, stupid car creatures!


This version of Top Gear left the air following Jeremy's "fracas" (that's British for "punch-up") at a producer when a hot meal wasn't waiting for him at the hotel after a day's filming. (Top Gear has been in mucho hot water before with the BBC.) Still, I enjoy the show for what it is, even if I don't want to be personal friends with or live next door to Clarkson, no no no no. The show's regularly shown in reruns, and Clarkson, Hammond, and May return to the screen this fall with a new series, The Grand Tour, on Amazon Prime.

In the meantime, we can always rewatch and re-enjoy their classic 1970s detective/action series, The Interceptors.


No comments: