Friday, December 06, 2013

Today in Comics History, December 6: The Pope is dismayed to find he has not been invited to the Joker's party


from Batman #320 (DC, February 1980), script by Denny O'Neil, pencils by Irv Novick, inks by Bob Smith, colors by Ben Oda, letters by Glynis Wein

Now, as we saw on August 1...


from Super DC Calendar 1976 (DC, 1975), letters by Ben Osa

...the Super DC Calendar '76, ordinarily the expert and definitive source for Pre-Crisis birth dates, lists August 1 as Joker's birthday. In a reverse of the way I usually run this blog (and if I can't contradict myself, who can I contradict?) I'm gonna declare that August 1 is more definitive a birthdate than December 6, and that's because A) The Joker lies and B) that December date is really just the fourth-wall breaking, real-world on-sale date of the next exciting issue of Batman Comics & Stories. Well, you didn't expect them to hold this exciting story until August came around again, did you?

2 comments:

Evan Waters said...

"You may know him as... Melanie Haber!"

Blam said...

"I couldn't help but notice that Spider-Man was here before me, by the way. Are you trying to do one of those Rutland-style unofficial crossovers?"