Monday, December 14, 2009

Don't be that guy; don't be like Larry.

There's few things that disturb me more about the comics business than a retailer determined to actively antagonize potential customers and publicly act like a buffoon. In my travels around the country I've been in hundreds of comic book stores; almost every single one of them was pretty good, and more than a few were exceptional. The two worst I've ever been in simply had very poor stock. I crossed those comic book stores off my list and didn't go there again.

That's why, without even stepping through its doors, I won't ever patronize Larry's Comics of Lowell, Massachusetts. Larry approached blogger and comics creator Kevin Church at a convention this weekend, and what resulted is Larry's full-fledged Twitter meltdown. Check it out over at Kevin's blog and see how Larry Doherty of Larry's Comics represents the modern public face of comics retailing.

Kevin keeps his account to the communication between him and Larry Doherty. Here's some other choice bits from Larry, posted on his Twitter on Saturday 12/12:

Larry Doherty of Larry's Comics

And this Oscar Wildean retort:

Larry Doherty of Larry's Comics

So, take another look at this, the internet's public face of Larry Doherty, the public face of Larry's Comics.

It's a business, folks. You think a clothing store or florist would stay in business long with a public or internet personality like this? So why would we tolerate those in our industry who can't act like professionals? (And yes, Larry Doherty is also the guy who crowed about the "Lantern Ring Boobs" photo taken in his store as a "fun promo." Laura Hudson's take on that here [WARNING: NSFW imagery])

So, do you wanna shop at Larry's Comics now? Not me.

(Truth in Disclosure: Kevin Church is one of my friends, so yes, I've "got his back" on this one, not that Kevin needs anyone to fight battles for him. But real truth to tell, like everybody else, Kevin Church is sometimes full of crap, and I don't mind telling him so when he is. This time? I'm behind him 100%.)


9 comments:

Unknown said...

It really makes you wonder what kind of people would patron this store with such a shitty personality behind the counter.

SallyP said...

This Larry fellow has been making a flaming ass of himself all over the Internet lately. And I wouldn't go into his store if you paid me.

Evan Waters said...

That flameout was just bizarre. He had several opportunities to walk away- in fact, pretty much every single moment was an opportunity to walk away because there was nothing to argue about anything.

I suspect beer was involved.

The Mutt said...

So, who came off as the biggest 'tard in that whole exchange?

Larry?
Kevin?
Bully for posting it?
Me for reading it?

And commenting?

The Mutt said...

So, who came off as the biggest 'tard in that whole exchange?

Larry?
Kevin?
Bully for posting it?
Me for reading it?

And commenting?

The Mutt said...

Twice?

Phillip said...

I see what you did there. I agree that Larry Doherty, the owner of Larry's Comics in Lowell, MA, is a total douche.

Note to self: Never argue on the internets with someone who does SEO for a living.

Harvey Jerkwater said...

Larry may be a dick, but I'll give him this -- in that final Twitter screencap of this post, he does indeed make a very clever artistic reference couched in wordplay.

His cry of "fuck you to pussey" refers, of course, to the great Dan Clowes character "Dan Pussey," who, fittingly enough, is a comic book creator and pathetic, useless human being.

His curious construction and use of obscenity suggest that he's not speaking to Sean, but rather crying to the heavens, to the Dan Pussey that is a cancerous part of all of our fanboy souls, "fuck you!" Indeed, Mr. Doherty, indeed. Fuck you to Pussey.

That tweet is not a pair of typos from an aggressive nitwit! That there is self-awareness wrapped in meta-humor and a cry for maturity! Hoorah!

Scott said...

My initial thought was "Oh boy, public twitterfight! Time to go clip my toenails!"

After reading the full exchange and reading several days back on Doherty's Twitter feed, I think Kevin did the right thing by drawing more attention to it. Doherty's an awful person, and I do hope someone manages to put him out of business someday.