Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Today in Comics History, January 5, 1972: Q: How do you get to Carnegie Hall? A: Create Ravage 2099.

Today! (In 1972!):


from The Mighty Marvel Calendar 1977 (Marvel, 1976)


from Bullpen Bulletins in Marvel Comics cover-dated June 1972



from letter column in Sgt. Fury (1963 series) #110 (Marvel, May 1973), by Adrienne Roy

Wait...Adrienne Roy, the acclaimed colorist for DC Comics? No wonder she didn't get work at Marvel!

Edited to add on January 5, 2022 (in green)

Abraham Riesman's recent Stan biography tells a more brutal story:


from True Believer: The Rise and Fall of Stan Lee (Crown, February 2021), by Abraham Riesman

4 comments:

Blam said...

I'd hover-text that letter a G or PG at most, but... 8^)

Bully said...

Ah ha! Once again my method for filling in things later has been thwarted by...uh, me forgetting about it.

"Joke" now filled in! Thanks, Blam!

Blam said...

I'm sure I've used a similar joke before on the rare occasions I've come across your "XXX" placeholder; let me know if you'd ever prefer I alert you in more clandestine fashion.

Bully said...

Oh, I don't mind, and this way is funnier!