Sunday, October 29, 2006

Roly Poly

In his comment to my blog entry about eatin' delicious, yummy cake, ace blogger Sleestak suddenly became a man I am going to hide behind the sofa for with his comment:
That's right. Eat on up...get nice and fat. I work a deli, you know....mmmmm, top round.
I am going to tell Miss Mills on you, bad Mister Sleestak!

That said, boy howdy, I do enjoy eatin'. That's why I wanted to share with you my personal theme song, a great classic of Texas Swing by the late great Mister Bob Wills: "Roly Poly." It's all about the joys of eating everything from corn to taters, and it not only gets my little hooves a-tapping, it makes me hungry every single time I hear it. I may not be a slim or svelte little bull, but with delicious, delicious gravy to be had, who wants to be?

I don't have a link to the delightfully twangy Bob Wills version (although you can purchase it at the iTunes Store), but here's a free listen at the wonderful new version by bluegrass/Texas Swing quintet The Little Willies, a track that's currently getting heavy, heavy play on my iPod. And yes...that smoky-voice female lead singer is the Sensational New Character Find of 2002, Miss Norah Jones. The Little Willies are getting a lot of attention because of Jones's participation, but even if she was an anonymous singer instead of the vocal superstar she is, the song and CD are wonderfully cheerful and exuberant and it's well on the way to being my favorite CD of 2006. Give it a listen and I bet you'll feel the same.

I don't often post YouTube videos on my blog, but check 'em out on Conan! If this doesn't make ya wanna dance, well, there's no love of life left in you, I do say!:



So yes, Mister Sleestak, I will indeed get fatter and plumper and more 'n' more roly poly.. But I'm keeping myself lean and mean by dancing! Get out from behind your cheese-slicing machine and dance around the supermarket floor and you'll understand what I mean!

1 comment:

Sleestak said...

I am too depressed to dance. I work in a deli, y'know.