Monday, April 06, 2009

365 Days with Ben Grimm: Day 96

An unusual and very cool one today! Both Douglas Wolk (author of the ultra-cool Reading Comics and, perhaps more appropriate in this instance, author of the funktastic James Brown's Live at the Apollo) and Sean Howe both alerted me via email to boogie on over to the music blog Funky16Corners, most specifically this post where I discovered that not only is Benjamin J. Grimm an ace test pilot, clobberer, and all around good-guy, but he's also the owner and manager of his own record label:

Grimm Ben 45


In a word, whoa?!? As big a Ben Grimm fan as I am, I've never heard of or seen this record label before. There's not an awful lot specifically about the label that I can find online, but I I have discovered it's a reggae label out of jamaica that was headed up by Jah Thomas, who's certainly a big name in the reggae world. And who else to tell the world to rock, mon than the original rock man, Mister Grimm, Ben? Here's some other versions of the Grimm Ben record label I've discovered through the magic of the internet—lay your peepers on 'em, brothers and sisters in rhythm:

Grimm Ben 45
Grimm Ben 45
Grimm Ben 45
Grimm Ben 45


That last one? Found via eBay, through the courtesy of whom that very copy of "Happy People" is winging its way to me, because I can't help bidding on something unusual with Ben Grimm on it. Also, I like dancing to the ska rhythm, mon.

You can and should do the same by clicking back to that original post over at Funky16Corners that Douglas and Sean alerted me to and checking out the sweet soulful sound of the great, recently late Eddie Bo singing "Check Your Bucket." And don't forget to check out the comments for a little more history on the Grimm Ben record label! Because we all know about his careers as a jet pilot, astronaut, adventurer, wrassler and space ranger...but now you can add record producer to his CV!


No comments: