Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Whatcha readin', Ben?

In this panel from Fantastic Four #134, Ben Grimm shows off his good taste in reading material, courtesy of a comic book cover cleverly statted into the artwork:
FF #134 panel


Sadly, although The Thing is still an eager comic book fan, Worlds Unknown is no longer being published. So, what would Ben Grimm be reading today, hmm? I wonder...

FF #134 panel


Or maybe he's lookin' at...
FF #134 panel


What do you think Ben is reading?

FF #134 panel
Photoshop hints: Resize your comic book cover down to 146 pixels wide at 72 dpi, and tilt it 11.5 degrees to the left. Increase the size of the canvas around the comic book cover. Copy the panel image above to Photoshop. Select the white area in the FF panel with your magic wand, choose menu select and menu item inverse, copy, and paste onto the comic book cover canvas.


Hey, this is my one thousandth post on the blog! Thanks for the continuing fun, folks!



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on 1000!

J.R. Jenks said...

Ben's readin' BURT!

Anonymous said...

The odd thing is, as we saw in Byrne's FF run, Aunt Petunia's a looker.

Bully said...

Shhhh, Anon.—don't ruin tomorrow's post!

Bill D. said...

How much should we be increasing the size of the canvas? I can't get it to work right.

Bully said...

Bill, sorry about the extreme shorthand instructions. You should have two files open in Photoshop: the Ben Grimm one and whatever comic book cover you're trying to stat into his hands.

I'd try increasing the size of the comic book image canvas to about 6 inches by 6 inches—that's way more than you need, but it'll give you plenty of room to work. You may have to decrease the magnification to see the comic book cover with in. Don't forget to tilt this 11.5 degrees to the left. Then go to the Ben Grimm file, select the white space, choose "inverse" to select everything but the white space, choose copy, go to the comic book canvas, paste, and then drag it until it lines up in the hole created by the selection. You'll then want to merge the levels together to create a single level.

Good luck! And remember, it's more difficult with bull's hooves!

then paste the Ben Grimm

Bill D. said...

Thanks, Bully! My Photoshop-Fu is weak, so I appreciate the help.

Bill D. said...

Well, I'm not proud of my entry, but it's a joke that was dying to be used, and someone would've gotten around to it anyway.

(And maybe you should let John check it out before you peep with your own little eyes, Bully.)

J.R. Jenks said...

Bully, that was fun! I enjoyed creating my entry and I liked Bill's, too. I'd love to do more of those in the future if you'd like to set 'em up.

They could all feature Ben Grimm, as far as I'm concerned.

Ryan said...

just added Mine to my site as well. Not really sure where the joke is in it, though...

J.R. Jenks said...

Oh, the joke is there, my friend. The joke is there.

J.R. Jenks said...

And it continues in my latest.