Saturday, March 31, 2007

Separated at Birth: Dress your family in iron and spandex

Iron Man #126 and Amazing Spider-Man #259

L: Iron Man #126 (September 1979), art by John Romita, Jr. and Bob Layton
R: Amazing Spider-Man #259 (December 1984), art by Ron Frenz and Joe Rubinstein
(Click picture to super-size)


EDIT on 4/14/07: D'oh! I have a little stuffed brain, 'coz conscientious commenter David M is spot on when he points out what I shoulda known right off: both covers are a take-off on the original first appearance of Iron Man, Tales of Suspense #39. Thanks, David!:
Tales of Suspense #39



4 comments:

SallyP said...

EEeek!

Harvey Jerkwater said...

Ye gods, I feel old.

One of my happiest comic book memories was rushing from my father's house to the local comic shop in August 1984 to buy that very issue of Amazing Spider-Man. It was a long walk on a hot day, but dang it, Spidey had his old costume back, the Hobgoblin was back too, and I had sixty cents in my pocket!

There really was nothing like being eleven years old, trudging to the local shop, and stocking up on the latest goodies. Cap versus the Red Skull -- for the last time! (Cap #290-300 or so)! The Secret Wars! The Thing in outer space! A new guy in the Iron Man suit?

Childhood had its ups and downs. Marvel Comics circa 1984 were one of the great ups.

Anonymous said...

Aren't both of these a variation on the cover of Iron Man's first appearance in Tales of Suspense #39? If Harvey felt old writing his comment, how do you think I feel?

Sol (Frederick) Badguy said...

I just recently read IronMan 126 and noticed the reuse of style for cover in Amazing Spider-Man #259, but I didn't remember the concept being used when I remember seing the cover of ToS #039 a short while before reading I.M #126.

I started a thread in "Comic Book Resource" about these kind of covers taking the same concept in Marvel Universe