Thursday, July 13, 2006

"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego."

I know most of you are besides yourselves with excitement over the fact that Doom is coming, but it might be worth reminding y'all not to forget the less-important yet still fanboy-appealing event looming on the horizon like some giant, horizon-looming thing: San Diego Comic-Con International 2006, starting Wednesday night, July 19! I have also heard it described as some sort of prom, so I have to get my tiny tuxedo out of storage and start looking around for a date. Remember: don't wait until the last minute to ask your date to the prom—you will never get your first choice of cute girls!

But Bully, you ask...go ahead, ask it...go ahead...say it! say it!...are you going to be at Comic-Con? Mais oui, mon Internet ami! I know I've cut my teeth on industry trade shows like BookExpo America, but in the great PSAT of industry trade shows, BEA:Comic Con :: Curious George:King Kong. I fully expect to be overwhelmed, disoriented, have my senses shattered, pay too much for a dollar hot dog, and get lost at least twice. I also hope to shake Kevin Church's hand.

If you're interested in shaking the hoof of a little stuffed bull amateur blogger, keep your eyes out for me scurrying through the crowds underfoot—or, if you don't want to have to step careful everywhere you go with your gigantic clophoppers, drop on by the W. W. Norton booth (#1714, adjacent to the fabulous folks at Fantagraphics) and be sure to tell the big goofy-lookin' guy wearing a Hawaiian shirt: "Hey! I want to meet the famous Bully!" He will look at you in dazed, Comic-Con-esque bemusement until I come out and shoo him away. If you're in a shopping mood, I'll gladly sell you a copy of Will Eisner's The Plot or The Contract with God Trilogy or James Vance and Dan Burr's Kings in Disguise or other fine graphic novels published and distributed by Norton. (Please be sure to drop some dimes buying some fine Fantagraphics books and comics as well...their list is a doozy!) Stopping by may be your best chance to meet me, as I have the feeling I might be tied to the booth much of the show, although it being my first SDCC, I do hope to get a chance to wander out and about, catch a few panels (here's a handy schedule so you can plan your attendance well!) I especially would be eager to attend panels at which Mark Evanier is participating. I also hope to have my Bender outfit finished in time to enter a costume contest. "Bite my shiny metal ass, meatbags!" Hah! I'll be bringing my tiny Macintosh laptop and my little digital camera and I hope to do some evening blogging to keep those of you who couldn't make the great pilgrimage west in on the fun.

Still, my schedule, unlike Ben Grimm, is not yet set in stone. So, for maximum Bully-enjoyment at SDCC, clip and save this handy reminder coupon (everyone who hands me this coupon gets a free Bully prize, while supplies last!)
At Comic-Con
Bully is keen
Find him at booth
Seventeen-fourteen.
See ya at the prom, fanboys and fangirls!


1 comment:

Sleestak said...

When I tried to cut out the coupon I broke the screen on my laptop.