Monday, July 01, 2013

365 Days of DC House Ads, Day 182: "Let's get Tenzil...he'll eat anything!" "He likes it! HEY TENZIL!"

Let's begin the second half of 365 Days of DC House Ads with quite possibly my favorite DC House Ad of all time, a two-page spread promoting Legion of Super-Heroes while cleverly repurposing famous DC comics title logos!

House ad for Legion of Super-Heroes (1983); script by Paul Levitz, pencils by Keith Giffen, inks by Larry Mahlstedt
printed in DC Sampler #1 (November 1983)

It might have been inspired by this similar-themed 1978 cover:


Cover of Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #236 (February 1978), pencils by Mike Grell, inks by Joe Rubinstein

5 comments:

TheCabanaMan said...

Happy Birthday Bully!!!

Bully said...

Thank you Mister B in a Cabana!

Chris Gumprich said...

Posts like this are the reason I follow you, Mister Little Stuffed Bull. Thanks for helping me remember why I love comics.

Blam said...


What Chris said!

I've always loved that ad too, although I'm not sure I recall seeing it anywhere outside of DC Sampler.

PS: The sideburns came along well before 1982.

-- MrJM said...

That was a fave of mine too!

-- MrJM