Thursday, November 03, 2011

Syllabub

Everybody's talking at me. I don't hear a word they're saying, only the echoes of my mind about all the fantastic back-matter in the X-Men: Regenesis books. So much promotion to cover the story in which Kitty finally gets her Sega Game System back from the repair shop! Oh, wait, I've made another one of my silly mistakes.

I love "behind the scenes" documents and back-up info of how the Marvel Universe works, which may explain why I have every copy of all forty-seven editions of The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe. But I'm still not buying that theory that Scott Summers' head is a gateway to a red energy dimension. So I'm loving the back-up documents showing the breakdown of the new X-Teams (altho, guys? Putting the word "Extinction" in your team classification is just asking for dramatic irony). I especially loved the brochure of Wolverine's newly rebranded Jean Grey School for Higher Living and Occasional Resurrection that appeared in this week's Wolverine and the X-Men #1. ComicsAlliance has the online exclusive on this so I've reproduced it to the right so small you can't actually read it. Frustrated? Why, just click on the picture and you can zip over to ComicsAlliance and see it in all its embiggened glory there. See: everybody wins!

What I will show y'all here is Wolverine's first attempt at writing a class syllabus from waaaaay back when Xavier's had just opened its doors to more students than just the X-Men and the New Mutants, a cool idea initiated in the first X-Men film and integrated into Grant Morrison's New X-Men. You may claim it appeared in Wizard magazine (hey, remember that?) and therefore isn't canon, but I argue that any class in which part of your curriculum is the first Rambo book surely must be authentic Wolverine. Check it out and revise your semester courses accordingly!


from Wizard Special Edition: X-Men (2002), written by Tom Root


I'd definitely take this course and sign up for the second semester: Advanced Field Survival 506, in which the Hulk rips us all in half and then we have to wait three and a half years to find out what happens next!


No comments: