Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Today in Comics History, July 17: Happy birthday, Colleen Coover!

"It is a truth universally acknowledged," wrote somebody famous named Jane who wasn't Jane Wiedlin, "that all the best people have birthdays in July." It's true! Starting on July First with Missy Elliott, Alan Ruck, Debbie Harry, Leslie Caron, and a way cool guy some of you may be familiar with, all the way up to July Thirty-First with Ted Cassidy, Kate Bush, Phil Proctor, Beatrix Potter, Gracie Allen, Mick Jagger, Arthur Treacher, Raymond Chandler, Diana Rigg, Patrick Stewart, Marty Feldman, Mitch Miller, we will not let you go (let him go!) Mitch Miller! We will not let you go (let me go) will not let you go (let me go) will not let you go...oh, wait a minute.

My point, and I do have one, is that the hippest cats and the top bananas all have their birthdays in July. And smack-dab in the middle of the month is one of the coolest of 'em all: my pal Colleen Coover is celebrating her birthday today! Hooray! Hooray! (throws confetti up in the air, fires up a light stick to wave around, attempts to get Small Favors off the top shelf without success).

In addition to creating some of the most fun and beautiful stories in the Marvel Universe (the Marvel Girl backups in X-Men: First Class, the origin of Throg in Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers, Amazing Spider-Girl, Amazing Spider-Man Family, Power Pack: Day One, Thor and the Warriors Four, and the wonderful debut of the Hydraettes in Fantastic Four: Giant-Size Adventures) and her Paul Tobin's original creations Banana Sunday (the Most Fun Comic of 2005), Gingerbread Girl, and the Eisner-nominated Bandette and more...Colleen has also been extraordinarily kind to yours little stuffed truly, and sent me a wonderful birthday present of my own. HOLY COW LOOK IT'S ME!:


In the words of one of the greatest detectives of all time, wowzers! I've been lucky enough to have some extremely talented creators draw me, and Colleen's wonderful portrait of a young bull at his leisure is a delightful addition to my collection. Thanks, Colleen!


Happy birthday, Colleen! You have been very kind to me, and I thank you so much! Even if I had not gotten to know you, I'd still be a big little stuffed fan of your wonderful work. Thanks for all the fun!



from Girl Comics (2010 series) #3 (Marvel, September 2010), by Colleen Coover

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to put a whole in your coolest people are born in July theory, but mine was yesterday. I'm a trend-breaker, baby!

You just get the best pictures of yourself, don't you?

S Bates said...

My birthday was in July as well. So what you said is all true!