Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Crisis on Infinite Spideys

What If...?™ Spider-Man was created by somebody else?

Well, I think it would go something like this:

Spider-Man as other cartoon characters, from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #5
Two-page pin-up from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #5 (November 1968), written by Stan Lee, pencils by Larry Lieber, inks by Mike Esposito, letters by Art Simek
Click image to intellectual property-size


Hey Ditko! Stan's found another way to trick you out of the co-creator royalties!

Can you name all the characters Spidey is impersonating? (Sure you can!)


8 comments:

Rich said...

I'm gonna go with (top) Dick Tracy, Mickey Mouse, Superman, (bottom) ?, Archie, Charlie Brown.

I recognize the other dude's shoes but can't place him. Help!

Velocity DeWitt said...

The guy with the shoes and the snazzy haircut in the lower left is Li'l Abner. And I think it's not Archie but Reggie. Why is Spider-Man Reggie? Even Spider-Mickey looks weirdly angry.

Anonymous said...

Is the mystery character Li'l Abner?

Richard said...

I remember this spread unsettled me when I was six years old. At the time, I only recognized a couple of the other characters being referenced, so the rest just looked inexplicably odd.

Tom Bondurant said...

I hate to say it, but Spidey-Brown looks an awful lot like those peeing "Calvin" ripoffs. Curse you, redneck culture...!

Phillip said...

Super-muscley Super-Spider-Man is creepy as hell. I like Lil' Abner-Man, tho.

Luke said...

I would happily read Spider-Abner, if only to see Mary Jane drawn Daisy Mae style.

Christian Zamora said...

Spider-Mouse is just freaky.