Friday, December 23, 2005

The sort of day a trainspotter could appreciate



Talk about good timing!

Go ahead! Talk about good timing. Talk among yourself. I'll be right here waiting.

Okay, done? Good. 'Coz that's 'xactly what John and I had today on our trainspotting, stations-hopping tour of the Jubilee Line Tube Extension. Ever since we got some amazing books on the Jubilee Line Extension that stretched it from ending in central London to all the way out past the East End and beyond, and the fantastic modern British architecture of some of its stations, we've both been dying to take an excursion to check 'em out!

But what did I find on the web the week before we came to London? That the Jubilee Line would be closed (for necessary maintenance) from December 26 through December 31! Aieee! Would we miss it? Would we never see the Jubilee Line extension?

(Wow, we are Underground geeks, aren't we?)

Anyway, the good timing part is that we could still take our trip today while the line's still open! Hooray! Or, as they say here in London, hoorah! So we bundled up in our anoraks with our tube maps and camera and headed out down the Jubilee Line.

I'll spare you all the details (because they are probably less than interesting to non-Underground geeks) but I had a dead brilliant time and very much enjoyed seeing the new modern stations, especially Canada Water and Canary Wharf. There was a shopping mall at Canary Wharf where we did some Christmas shopping, and then finished off the day with an excursion to Regent Street and Oxford Street where we could hardly move there were so many people! I'm not kidding you! It's really true! Wow, these people take their Christmas shopping serious!!!

Anyway, I'm all set for Christmas (shh! Don't tell Olivia that I got her Sainsbury's play food!) and had a wonderful day on the Underground. You can see all my photos from the day coming up soon in my next blog entry. And the Jubilee Line Extension? For those of you who love the Underground, I highly recommend it. Just don't come on a day when they have it closed for repair, okay?!?


No comments: